Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ministry of Presence

I am quickly becoming quite intrigued by Henri Nouwen. I read "In the Name of Jesus" while in Ireland and loved his simple yet profound approach to leadership and loving others. Since moving to Spokane I have spent a lot of time thinking about what to do with my time. This has led me to question why our society defines people by their occupation not by who they are; their likes or dislikes; their passions; their motives. Kyle and I have discussed the potential for jobs here and if that is a good fit for me right now. The more we have talked and prayed it seems that this is a season of openness; of vulnerability; of finding my identity not in what I do but in Who loves me. I saw this quote by Nouwen the other day and it has meant more to me than I can express. Living in a dorm with college students gives me the kind of freedom he describes. And yet, he humbly puts into words the tension I feel daily.

"More and more, the desire grows in me simply to walk around, greet people, enter their homes, sit on their doorsteps, play ball, throw water, and be known as someone who wants to live with them. It is a privilege to have the time to practice this simple ministry of presence. Still, it is not as simple as it seems. My own desire to be useful, to do something significant, or to be part of some impressive project is so strong that soon my time is taken up by meetings, conferences, study groups, and workshops that prevent me from walking the streets. It is difficult not to have plans, not to organize people around an urgent cause, and not to feel like you are working directly for social progress. But I wonder more and more if the first thing shouldn't be to know people by name, to eat and drink with them, to listen to their stories and tell your own, and to let them know with words, handshakes, and hugs, that you do not simply like them, but truly love them."

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey! This blog post BLESSED me so much. It was exactly what i needed to hear and I'm so grateful. I am wrestling with a lot of these same thoughts and, though I know intellectually that the ministry of presence is vital, I often feel like I have to find ways to prove my worth. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad, J! I have come back to it again and again this last week and it has made such a difference. I am loving following your adventure!!! Thanks for keeping all of us back home in the loop! PS - I found a card you wrote me in the Fall of 2008 tonight. Your kind words and reminder of the Truth we find in Psalm 91 was so encouraging; all over again; three years later. Churchill said, "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Praying you can practice making a life during this season. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kels, thank you once again for giving me advice that I need to hear. This post came at the perfect time, and I love that quote! I miss you so much, we need to skype soon! As in.....this week ;)

    I mentioned you guys on my blog today.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete